Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What was your best Christmas gift?


I though it was about time I actually post on our blog. I was intending to be on top of posting maybe a couple of times a week, but once the blog was set up Julie was off and running. And doing a fine job! So now the pressure is on to meet the standard she set and come up with a good post. Here I go. It looks like Christmas is approaching fast. This reminds me of the best Christmas gift I ever got. I was 7 years old and living in Dallas, Tx. My family was in the mists of moving to Phoenix, Az. I was more than apprehensive about the move. My parents still talk about how I drove them nut with all the questions I asked about Phoenix. And I thought there were no bad questions. Anyway, My first grade Teacher Mrs Parker and I had built a strong relationship that year. Initially I was scared of Mrs Parker. She had a reputation of being all business. I was one of the older kids in the class due to my September birthday, and it was like she expected more from me. She pushed me from the get go. I did not like her. After a month Mrs Parker and I started to click. I was doing more work, had more responsibilities, and more privileges than the rest of the class. On the last day before the Christmas break, my last day at school before we moved, Mrs Parker pulled me aside and told me that she was going to miss me and that I was her best student in the class and gave me a gift. It was a pocket knife. When you are a 7 year old boy or really a male of any age there is a central question you ask yourself, " Am I man enough?" It's a question of status really. Am I man enough to climb this fence? Am I man enough to run faster than this kid? Am I man enough to catch this ball? Do I have what it takes to hang upside down on the monkey bars? To skip bars or go backwards on the monkey bars? Can I jump off the top of this slide? How long can I pop a wheelie? These are the questions of little boys. Am I man enough to have my own pocketknife? Mrs Parker said yes. It was a great gift.

So what was the best Christmas gift you ever got? Was it a special dolly? Maybe a truck or a G I Joe? Was it jewelry? Tell us.

3 comments:

Paxton, Julie, Ethel, Katherine, Ruth said...

OK, so here I am telling Katherine she has to pick only 1 best gift for christmas but I have 2! When I was 3 I got the fisher price tree house, it was some special thing you couldn't get everywhere. I totally remember opening it-It was so awesome! I took it to my Aunt's house on Christmas to play with-I loved that thing. A very close 2nd was a pair of diamond earrings Paxton got for me. Why was this my favorite gift when I don't even really like jewelery? Well, I really wanted a nice pair of earrings I could wear everyday with everything. When I opened the box I was very thrown back and a little mad that the earrings were not what I had expected. They were much to fancy for me and something I saw I couldn't wear everyday only on special occasions. Also they seemed so unpractical, and it just wasn't what I imagined. ok you are all thinking, your pretty mean and very ungrateful. That's just the thing, that is why this is the best gift. Everytime I wear those earrings I think of the time my husband went out and picked the perfect earrings for me. I am so grateful everytime I put them on-Oh by the way-I do wear them with everything and they match my wedding ring-which is why he picked them out. I love those earrings.
Jules

Paxton, Julie, Ethel, Katherine, Ruth said...

KayKay's favorite Christmas gift...
Her penguin jammies she got last year. "they are cozy" "I wonder if this year's will be so cozy?"
A family tradition-each family member gets new jammies for Christmas they open up on Christmas eve after our Christmas party.

Paxton, Julie, Ethel, Katherine, Ruth said...

Ethel's favorite gift:
Her gingerbread strawberry shortcake doll. She didn't think she would get it- Ethel loves a good surprise!